Featured Post

The "Rights of Englishmen" Series

This is a list of the posts from my "Rights of Englishmen" series, as well as some others: - The Rights of Englishmen Part 1:...

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Talking to Fr. Z about SSPX

Father Z posted about Cardinal Burke's statement about the SSPX.  Being a new attendee of Mass at a Society Chapel, I took an interest in what he had to say.  

The ultimate conclusion of Cardinal Raymond Burke and Father Z was that we are not to attend a Society Mass unless it was absolutely necessary.  But what condition could possibly justify that, then?  A zombie apocalypse, in which the only place the Sacrament is offered is at an SSPX chapel?

I threw my current perspective out there, and it's awaiting review by Fr. Z before being posted.  I will be curious to see how he or anyone else responds to it.  I'm not taking a hard line stance and defending Question #5.  That is not a battle I am choosing to fight.  It is not my calling, it is not my station, it is not of my interest.  However, I would like to know how others would respond to it.

Here is my comment post to Fr. Z.  I begin the comment by quoting him:
"Being mad at the priest… not liking the modern building… hating the music… these are not reasons to leave your parish and go to the SSPX.  Card. Burke says, “absolute necessity” which narrows it down quite a bit."
Okay, I'm not trying to be argumentative, here.  However, I have recently been taking the family to Society Mass.  This is largely due to scheduling; I am a third-shift worker, and there are no Latin Masses available at a later time, other than the one the Society offers.
Now, the Society would argue that the absolute necessity for going to an SSPX Mass is already there, since the Church has been in a state of emergency since Vatican II.  And they argue that we should stay away from the Novus Ordo Mass altogether, as it is "a liturgy for a modernist religion."  While I am not entirely comfortable with that idea, I can at least understand their arguments that the Novus Ordo Mass, while not invalid, can actually be a hazard to a person's faith.   
Already, this is a long comment post.  I will not post the entire section, but this argument comes from a book someone gave me, titled: Most Asked Questions About The Society of Saint Pius X.  The section that basically states this is page 21, Question 5: Why Should Catholics Have Nothing To Do With the Novus Ordo Missae.  (I found a link to this little section online: http://www.holycrossseminary.com/Most_Asked_Questions_Question_5.htm.)  And the section concludes with the following:
 If the Novus Ordo Missae is not truly Catholic, then it cannot oblige for one's Sunday obligation. Many Catholics who do assist at it are unaware of its all pervasive degree of serious innovation and are exempt from guilt. However, any Catholic who is aware of its harm, does not have the right to participate. He could only then assist at it by a mere physical presence without positively taking part in it, and then and for major family reasons (weddings, funerals, etc).
I dunno.  It's a section from the book that's stuck with me, I suppose.  Especially when I perceive, more and more, an effeminate sense of things at the Novus Ordo Masses available to our family on the later Sunday evening hours.  In fact, the NO Mass really feels like some kind of a Lutheran insult when I attend it, and it feels as though it's an entire ceremony dedicated to opposing Catholicism itself--almost as if it is mocking the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

I will await his reply.  

1 comment:

  1. HI LARAMIE - EXAMPLE OF NECESSITY - MY WIFE AND I JUST THIS PAST WEEKEND WENT TO VISIT OUR DAUGHTER AT CLARKSON UNIVERSITY AND WE WENT TO HER USUAL CHURCH FOR WORSHIP- ST. MARY'S POTSDAM N.Y.; THE PRIEST SPOKE HERESY IN HIS HOMILY AND THE NOVUS ORDO HAD ONLY THE SLIGHTEST MODICUM OF REVERENCE AND NO INDICATION OF THE SUBLIME MYSTERY UNDERWAY. THE CONGREGATION WAS WELL ATTENDED- MANY COLLEGE AGE COUPLES, THE YOUNG LADIES HALF NAKED IN T TOPS AND SHORT SHORT SHORTSHORTS; MEN SIMILARLY DISROBED .......... MANY OF THEM WHO WERE PROXIMAL TO ME TOTALLY DISTRACTING AND MUCH MORE IN TUNE IN JOKING AND CONVERSING WITH THEIR ACCOMPANYING MATE THAN IN lATRIA. SO FR Z AND CARD BURKE WOULD PREFER WE ATTEND THIS TYPE OF INVALID[QUO PRIMUM] WORSHIP. BECAUSE IT HAS THE ORDINARIES APPROVAL AND AUTHORIZATION] THAN THAT OF THE GREGORIAN MASS OFFERED BY GOD FEARING, CHRIST RESPECTING SSPX 'PRIESTS'. NO RULE OF EMERGENCY?? UUUMMMMMMM.... JUST DOES NOT PASS THE SMELL TEST FOR ME.

    ReplyDelete