Featured Post

The Kingdom of Católica America Series

Here is a list of all posts from The Kingdom of Católica America series.  Just follow the links.  There are more to come in the future, and ...

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Our First Attendance at a SSPX Chapel


Well, the family and I went to our first Mass held by the Society. The wife said it was nice, and "it was just like the diocesan TLM that we were consistently attending months ago."  I got to meet "traddie" (his name on Te Deum), and the wife got to meet some Traditional Catholic filipinas for the first time. Usually, when filipinas come to America, they become protestantized. So, she was happy to see some of her countrymen who were like-minded for a change.

The "parish" didn't seem to have much, but what they did have carried a lot of meaning for everyone. And that was really something to see. When I go to the cathedral downtown, the parish has so much--and yet, everyone takes their Catholicism for granted. I told the wife afterwards that it felt like we were English Recusants.

Still, though. I'm not fully 100% on board with the Society. There's a few things that I'm just way too uncertain about accepting. I'm unsure about being totally on board with the idea of just avoiding Novus Ordo Mass altogether. And, I'm uncertain about going to confession with a Society priest. And probably, there's a whole host of other things I'm uncertain about.

And that's basically how things have been for us in terms of our Catholic lives lately. The "Mass situation" of the past few months, the banal spirit of the Novus Ordo Mass we've been witnessing since the spring, a current Facebook barrage from Protestant colleagues about what a jerk I am for not liking Pope Francis--and let's not forget the fact that I'm really freaked out that Pope Francis could be THE non-canonically elected pope of prophecy, and everything that brings--it's all kind of emotionally traumatic.

We're just wanting to do the right thing and worship God in the way He wants us to. But now, we just don't know what's going on. And I really think it'll be that way for us for months, if not years. We're trapped in a sort of a state of flux. And I have a feeling that, should the schism that people have talked about come in the next 1-5 years, there's going to be a WHOLE LOT of Catholics who will be stepping into the waters I'm in right now.

I know it is okay for us to fulfill our Sunday obligation at a Society parish. But ought we? Well, we'd be stealing energy from the diocesan community by removing ourselves from them. On the other hand...wheels are turning in that community to purge itself of, well, Catholicism. And ought clergy be doing that? I think not. As Fleur (at the Te Deum forum) said in so many words, we're freaked out.

I don't know. But that's where I am. I'm in a world of "I don't know." So, we'll see. I got a lot on my plate in life right now, so conclusions on something like this will probably only manifest slowly for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment